Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Sunday, May 2, 2010

What can I say? I’ve been duped! I really thought I would be done with cancer and its treatments after December, but oh boy, don’t I feel stupid now! I was honestly ready to never return on this blog again, although I have really enjoyed pouring all those thoughts and feelings out. I thought it would be a sign of breaking free from the disease and I felt an urge to never look back after “beating” cancer in the first place. Note #1: Things never go as planned, so you always have to leave room for the unthinkable to happen and to be humiliated for not thinking about it in the first place. I had to learn the hard way.

I finished my radiation treatments on Dec. 28, right after Christmas. The girls at the radiology department even gave me a certificate that said that I passed, congratulating me for beating cancer! So what the heck happened? Why was I back at the doctor’s office only a few weeks later, getting another biopsy that would eventually confirm that my cancer was still there? Grrrr…

To my utter surprise and disbelief, I had to start chemo treatments again at the end of March. My cancer was sill there from what all the scans have shown. After all those treatments, another battle would have to begin once more this year. I was so ready for a truce! Why did it have to happen this way? I really needed a break!

Well, to cut a story short I started chemo again, I just finished my 3rd treatment and I’m supposed to have 6 total, so 3 more. I will have more radiation after that, electron beam radiation, and we’re still experimenting on cocktails. I have tried 2 different ones, so far.

I got an extra opinion from the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Chicago. I’ll keep you posted on how that goes. I don’t anticipate posting as often as I did last time. I feel the need to focus on my family instead and spend less time shutting everyone out and isolating myself. We’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment