Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Saturday, July 25, 2009

Round Six-How to be a pin cushion




That's it then. My last chemo treatment was yesterday. Not the most pleasant experience, I have to say. I guess they saved the worst for last.

I had an appointment early in the morning. My doctor was on vacation (again) and I saw one of his nurses. Everything seemed to be OK.

I went on the 3rd floor and got situated in one of the private rooms. A few minutes later my nurse came in ready to hook me up on the IV. I asked not to have the IV on my hand, since I still have a scar there from last time, so she would try to find a spot on my forearm. Here comes the trouble.

She started poking me with the needle, but as soon as she tried to thread the catheter, my vein would make a little blister that looked ready to pop and literary push the catheter out.
She tried a new spot, the same thing happened. She told me that she would have another nurse try.

A new nurse came, tried to put the IV in, same thing. She tried again at a different spot, nope. By that time they decided that I must be slightly dehydrated and that's why my veins were reacting that way. I started drinking water while the nurses decided to call their manager.

A young girl came in. She decided to switch arms and try my right one. She pushed the needle in and tried to place the catheter, but right there in front of our eyes the catheter was pushed back out. She tried again, on my wrist this time. Same thing. She stopped and looked at me "We will have to call somebody else" she said with defeat in her voice. Another nurse came in. She looked at my arms that had already started to bruise. "I'm so sorry! Your arms look like pin cusions!"
"Don't worry about it" I said, "let's try to get this IV in." She opened a new needle, this was the seventh one, and tried. This time it really hurt. She tried to push back when the catheter was being pushed out, and she was finally able to do it. She taped it in place and they started the saline drip right away.

I had to wait for another 2:30 hours until all four bags of medicine were out. I usually read while waiting, but this time I just slept. I was so exhausted!

When it was all done we drove home, and by that time both my arms looked purple blue. But somehow I didn't really care. It was over! This was my last treatment. I have to go back in three weeks so they can check my blood count. I already have an appointment with my breast surgeon scheduled on the 3rd. I guess I'll find more about the surgery then.

I had the Neulasta shot this morning and I've been in bed since I got home. I took a nap and watched TV. It's after 9:00 and the day is gone. Another useless day gone by. I know I have to rest, and I don't really have the energy to do anything else, but at the same time I hate wasting an entire day like this.

I have so many thoughts running through my mind. On the one hand and I'm so grateful I have people to listen to me and help me through this difficult time, on the other, I know that when it comes down to it, I'm on my own on this one.

I pray and take it one day at a time. Day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment