Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Thursday, July 2, 2009

I came back from Arizona on Monday night. The flight was OK, not as bad as the one going there a few weeks back, when I felt pretty lousy right after my chemo.

I was hoping to go to sleep early, but that didn’t happen, of course. I woke up early the next morning in order to go the hospital for my new MRI. I decided not to take a sedative, so I was a little nervous that I would have a panic attack or something. It turns out I did just fine. It helps when they tell you how much time each scan takes. I was counting seconds in my head so it wasn’t that bad. This time my back didn’t hurt when I got up and there were only women around so I felt more comfortable being exposed.

I came home and tried to rest. It was disturbingly quiet. I miss the kids. The day went by as expected. I felt tired and I tried to get some rest until it was actually time to go to bed and I couldn’t.

I woke up early again the next morning. This time I had to go to the clinic for my chemo.
It was busy and my regular doctor was not there. I showed the nurse the bruise that I got after my last treatment. It extended all the way up to my elbow, following the path of my vein and there’s a specific point somewhere in the middle of my forearm where it looks and feels more like a burn, probably from the chemicals that went in. The nurse took a picture of it, but nobody told me anything about what I’m supposed to do to get rid of it.

Today I went to the clinic again for my Neulasta shot. My blood count was pretty low, even lower that last time. I can’t wait when all this is over. I’m going to see a new doctor in Cleveland on the 10th, the one who’s doing the clinical trials for a new vaccine for triple negative breast cancer patients. I will get a second opinion and see if I qualify for the research he’s working on.

After that, I’ll have my last treatment on the 24th and a few weeks after that I should be ready for the surgery. I’m worried and scared. I have a long recovery ahead of me, and I’m worried I might not have the help I need to go through this. Am I doing the right thing? After all I have to live with this decision for the rest of my life, however long that is.

I’m tired and I feel sick. I want to try and take a nap but I think our neighbors are having a party and there’s loud music coming into my bedroom. It’s frustrating. I’ll put some earplugs in my ears and I'll try to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment