Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Unfortunately I haven't been feeling very well lately. The chemo has taken its toll and I have much more nausea this time. The pain in my bones is unbearable and I just hate that throbbing pain in my spine. My blood count is really low, it gets lower after every treatment, and I feel exhausted all the time. Even getting up and down the stairs is a big task for me these days.

The bright side of course is that I only have one more treatment left. Sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to make it! Brian asked me this morning "I wonder what's so special about having 6 treatments? Why not stop at 5 or go up to 7?" I told him "I think it's because you die at 7", and I really mean it! I don't think my body can take much more of this poison anymore.

I’m leaving for Cleveland on Thursday to see Dr. Baar for a second opinion. I really hope something good comes out of this.

Click here to find out more: Dr. Baar on abc

No comments:

Post a Comment