Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Greeting from the Sonoran Desert!

I’ve been here in Tucson for 3 days now and I have to say I rather like it. The weather is not too hot, in fact I was able to go in the back yard and read my book both last evening and this morning without combusting! LOL!

Sally and Patrick always make me feel comfortable and welcome when I’m here so my stay so far has been perfect. I get to rest when I need to rest, but also do things they need me to do, just enough so that I feel I do my small share and I not feel totally useless.

Brian and I both were happy to see the kids when we got here on Saturday night. David had just gotten back from his scout camp and I can’t believe how he has grown even in these past few days since we've last seen him!

All three kids have made new friends here, which is of course great! They have play dates almost every day, and Sally is always on the go with them. I feel bad I can’t be the one doing it, but I’m grateful she has the energy and the will to do it for me.

I love how David now likes to come to me and hug me just out of the blue. I really enjoy this little affection he’s willing to share with me. The only reason I make a point to mention it of course is because the other 2 are usually all over me, with their hugs and kisses. David has always been more reserved, even as a baby, so it really makes my heart flutter when he does it!


We went to church on Sunday. David, Brian and I were all talking about how it feels more like home here. Brian was amazed to see his children play and socialize with the kids of people who used to be his best friends growing up. I think that all this should be food for thought for upcoming decisions in the near future, concerning where we should move next.
I always thought that one of the things we lack the most when we move to a new place is having family around us. I’m so glad to have William so close to us now in Ohio, but I can’t help thinking that we’re going to lose him sooner or later.

Well, other than that I feel OK. I do have the pain in my bones again, but I decided to only take Advil this time. It helps control the pain and I can still have my wits about me.
I get to rest as much as needed. I do have a little bit of a jet lag since Ohio is 3 hours ahead, but I know I’ll be fine within the next couple of days.

It’s a little strange not to have Brian around, fussing over me, but I’m learning that I can take care of myself just fine. Of course it’s nice to have someone to remind me to take all the different kinds of medication that I have on schedule now. Sometimes I think I’ve gone senile and can’t remember anything, so that’s where Brian comes in to remind me things. I think I’m doing a good job so far.

It’s almost time for dinner, so I better go and see how I can help. I’ll try to post more often, but there’s really not much going on. I miss Brian a lot and can’t wait to see him again in 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment