Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Square One

I’m sitting here thinking that I need to write something, but I really don’t feel like it.
This feeling of necessity, of course, comes from knowing that I always feel better if I somehow unload my thoughts in writing. I know it will help me calm down and relax if I can just find the words to explain. But sometimes there are no words.

Going through this cancer deal brings turmoil that is full of mixed emotions and realizations. I can’t help but thinking that maybe I’m not that eloquent in English to explain the magnitude of this after all. Come to think of it, I doubt I would be articulate enough to describe it in my own language either, let alone my second.

More and more I find myself having mixed feelings about a lot of things. I end up confused and unable to choose. Frustration does not describe what I feel, not even close. If there was one thing that I know I’m good at, is being able to see and judge things from many different angles and then decide. Now I feel that I’m being torn apart by my own strengths, and weaknesses for that matter. Self loathing can’t be good for me, not right now, I know. I try.

There are times that I feel I want to shut down and not think about anything anymore. I really wish I was back in that hospital where I could lie in a bed and have nurses fuss over me. It kills me that I can’t plan anything in advance while there are so many things in my life that need a resolution right now. Can I really plan in advance? I don’t know what tomorrow holds for me anymore. Should I plan by thinking there’s no tomorrow? Or maybe I should act as if there’s nothing wrong, but then again I can’t, because there are a ton of things wrong.

See, that’s why this disease isolates me so much. I’m not scared of death, I’m not afraid to fight, but I don’t know my limits, or the rules, there’s just no standard. How can I explain that to people? Do they think I’m falling apart, or that I’m being a pessimist? Because I know I’m not. No! I just don’t know! I do feel the need to be prepared, but the variables keep changing on me every time I think about something. I just need to know.
So I choose to pull away from everyone knowing in advance that they simply won’t understand.

Anyone else knows out there? Cause I sure don’t!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know the answer for you. I can only tell you my experiences. I know that when I isolate myself and pull away from others it is because I am overwhelmed with what is going on in my life. Usually it is more of a reflection of my feelings towards God then towards other people. I have been mad at God for the things that I do not understand and I am not allowing myself or am not able for whatever reason to feel God's love for me. I believe this is something the devil uses to his advantage because the paradox is the way that I most often feel God's love for me is through other people. When I allow others to be a part of my life I usually feel better because I feel supported and cared for. There are times when having other people around is not helpful, but overall I have not found isolating myself to be at all helpful :) The thing to ask yourself is what is the worst that could happen with either scenerio? If you do let people in, what would be so bad about that? If you don't let people in, what is it that is stopping you? I don't know if that helps, but those are some of my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this quote from Sherri Dew and thought it might be appropriate. "There are some who make living the gospel seem like a sentence to life on the rock pile. It’s not living the gospel that is hard. It’s life that is hard. It’s picking up the pieces when covenants have been compromised or values violated that’s hard. The gospel is the Good News that provides us the tools to cope with the mistakes, the heartaches, the disappointments we can expect to experience here."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a thought I read from a friend. "The gospel of Jesus Christ is not insurance against pain. It is a resource in the event of pain". He is always there for you. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete