Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Sunday, August 9, 2009

The day has been quiet so far. We had a small celebration for Brian's birthday, he didn't want to make a big deal out of it this year. He liked his present so that's nice.

I'm in my room getting some rest now. I told the kids to come to me if they need anything and to pretend that dad is not here. He's in his office working.

Sally left last night with William. Her flight was leaving early this morning from Dayton, so William took her to the airport. She worked so hard when she was here! I'm so grateful, but I also feel bad I was not able to help.

I don't have much else to say. I'm much calmer now. I'm sure that I'll start getting more nervous again as the days go by and the day of the surgery is getting closer. For the time being I try to take it easy, one day at a time.

I have a list of things that I need to have ready for the surgery. I found it on a message board and it seems very helpful. I need to find the strength to go out and get some of the stuff that I don't already have. I ordered a special camisole that comes with pockets for the drains. Everybody on the MB said that it's a must have. I also need to buy some big button down shirts. Apparently you're kind of swollen the first few days so your own clothes don't fit, plus you can't raise your arms so the only thing you can wear for a while are those shirts. I also need one of those round cushions that go around your neck when you travel. The ladies on the board say it's impossible to sleep in your bed, you have to sleep on a recliner and this really helps. I need a pillow that I will need to hold under my arm so that my skin there doesn't get irritated from rubbing against the skin of my torso. They say the incision doesn't hurt so bad, it's the drains that hurt.

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a good day and I'll be able to go get some of the stuff. Or maybe I'll wait until my mom and sister will be here in a few days and they can help me.
I still can't get used to the idea. It's been 6 years since I have seen anyone from my family. They haven't even seen Natalie yet. It feels unreal.

I better get some rest now before the kids come knocking on my door asking for things.
My bones hurt again today. What's new...

No comments:

Post a Comment