Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'm having the surgery early tomorrow morning. My mom, sister and brother are all here by now and they've been taking such good care of me that I feel completely spoiled!

My sister prepares those gourmet meals everyday, and both her and my mom make sure I take my medicine and my vitamins, they cut fruit and make all kinds of healthy snacks for me. My mom keeps the house clean while Mikie and Antonis play with the kids endless hours. Everybody is well taken care of. It's amazing! Lets just say that when they leave it will be super hard to go back to the way things were before they were here.

I feel a little nervous about tomorrow, but I know that there are many people praying for me so that gives me courage. I have no idea when the next time I'll be able to post, but hopefully sometime later this week I'll have an update.

For the time being I'll just have to fight my nerves and try to keep calm. Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog....wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I had a left mastectomy on 8/4/08. I don't miss it much...especially since it had the cancer in it.
    You are more than your breasts! You WILL get through this. It's painful and the drains are a pain in the a$$....but, you'll get through that too.
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete