Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Friday, October 16, 2009

Another day gone by. I've had a pretty busy day. I had to drive Darian to school in the morning because he missed the bus, came back home and got Natalie dressed and ready to go back to school because Darian's class had a "probability carnival" during their Math class. It was really fun and Natalie loved all the prizes she won. She even won the raffle! Actually, both Darian and Natalie won, so it was a good experience all around!

I came back home and got some rest and then went to pick up David from his school. I took him to Kohls in order to buy him some new clothes. He grows so fast! We found some jeans that he liked, but I need to take him to Old Navy tomorrow to find some more tops and a jacket because we couldn't find anything good there.

Brian was not feeling very well today so he spent the entire morning in bed. When I got back he was in his office working and he's still in there. Natalie and I started a fire in our fireplace (it's getting really cold here), we put our sleeping bags on the floor, had a snack and watched Madagascar 2 together. We both loved it!

After a while I went to get the mail and I saw that I had received one package from my sister and another one from my mother, with lots of fun stuff for my birthday. Yes, I know my birthday was a almost 2 weeks ago, but since 9/11 packages from the other side of the world take a ridiculous amount of time to get here. Gone are the days when I used to receive mail from Greece within 4 days.

I spent the rest of the day with the kids, watching movies and having fun together by the fireplace. I'm so happy that I don't spend my days in bed anymore! I dread the time that I'll start feeling tired again. I want to make the best of it now that I can.

Poor Darian was so happy that I went to his school today! He kept hugging me and saying "thank you" that I was able to go. It was the first time I actually met his teacher this year. Pathetic! I'm usually much more involved, I volunteer and help out the kids' teachers whenever I can. This is the first time that I haven't done it and it's hard for both me and the kids. They're used to seeing me at their school, and I'm used to having a closer relationship with their teachers. I guess we all have to accept our new "normal" and live with it for as long as it's needed.

I know Brian has a hard time accepting that we're both so tired and that we can't do all the things we used to be able to do. He feels that since I can't do it, the responsibility falls on his shoulders, but of course he can't do everything! I try to remind him time and again that this is something that affects everyone in the family and we need to accept the fact that things are not going to be the same, but he still gets upset about it and then gets me all stressed out too. I've made a promise though and I try to keep it. I have to keep these things out of my mind for now. I do whatever I can with the kids and the house, but mostly I'm in survival mode. I can't worry about the mess and the things that remain undone and unfinished. I really need to keep my strength and my sanity a priority.

The kids are in bed now, Brian's still working and I can relax and check my e-mail and post my thoughts. Pretty soon I think I'll try to go to bed and get some rest.

Oh, and I did mention that I laughed myself to tears again today? I love YouTube! Search for TV bloopers and you'll see what I mean...

Gramma, I hope you had a good laugh today too! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment