Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Monday, October 5, 2009

It's been a while since the last time I posted. I'm still alive, no worries!
I just felt the need to retrieve to my "cave" for a little, in order to have the opportunity to think about things more clearly, and consider my true feelings about this whole mess. I really didn't feel like writing. Now I guess, I'm back! LOL!

I have completely healed from surgery and I'm doing quite well. I have a surprisingly good range of motion on my right arm. I kept doing stretches and all kinds of exercises. It does come handy to be an ex-physical therapist after all! I still feel tired and need to take breaks many times a day, but I'm gaining strength every day.

My family came and left and our time together was priceless. I'm really happy we finally had some time together. My sister spoiled us with all those gourmet meals that she made for us and she was so good with the kids! My mom kept "nagging" me to eat my fruit and vegetables, and kept trying to encourage me. My brother took such good care of me that first night at the hospital and then kept me motivated to go out and take walks when I got back home. I sure felt that I was the "baby" of the family once more and it was actually kinda fun! I really love them all!

There are so many people that have touched my heart with their kind thoughts and prayers, and offered their help during this difficult time for all of us. Brian's mom has come to help us out multiple times, and it's always so good for me when she's here. She has a unique way of keeping me motivated without being "on my case". I just feel better when she's around!

Gramma came to see us after her reunion in Indiana. We were so happy to see her. I really felt the warmth of her prayers so close to me! I only wish we had more time together.

Many friends from church, both from here and Arizona, have reached out to do whatever they can for us. Some by visiting or preparing meals for us every other day, others by sending cards and flowers to encourage me.

I'm so humbled from all this outpouring of love and support from everybody. I'm so grateful! I don't think I can find the right words to thank them all.

I went to the radiologist for the first time on Thursday. She is really nice and she made me feel I'm in good hands. I had a second appointment for a CAT scan on Friday. The nurses and the doctor took measurements and made marks on my chest to pinpoint the spots where the radiation will be applied. They drew a big square around the right side of my chest using a Sharpie! Then they put a gazillion stickers on me to keep the marks from fading.

My next appointment is on the 19th of the month. It's a test run, in order to calibrate the machine that will zap me, without actually doing it. My first real treatment will be the day after.
The plan calls for 5 days a week for a total of 7 weeks. The doctor warned me that it will feel like a bad sunburn, sore to the touch and very red. The skin also gets thicker and tighter as more scar tissue is formed. She gave a prescription for a lotion I'm supposed to use 2-3 times a day. She also said that I will eventually start feeling tired and I'll probably need to take more naps, or go to bed really early. Oh well, anything to get rid of whatever is left in there.

I don't know if my cancer treatment in its entirety will be successful enough to get rid of the cancer that has inhabited my body. There's always the chance for a metastasis. I have no real control over it. I can only hope and pray.

I'm at peace though. I feel there's no reason for sorrow or fear. I know that everything will be OK either way. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment