Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Friday, October 9, 2009

Sick :-P

I was so sick today! It reminded me of the times I had chemo, only this was even worse, if that could ever be possible!

I woke around 6:30 am. The phone was ringing. It was David calling me from the bus to tell me that he forgot his English homework and could I please bring it to him.
I told him I would meet him at the front desk in a few minutes. I quickly got out of my bed and got dressed and ready to go.

There was a huge line of cars at the school, parents dropping off their kids. I was able to park and go inside. I saw David arriving at the exact time as me. I handed him his homework and turned around to head back to the car.

That's when I first realized that my stomach felt funny. My back still hurt a lot, it started acting up again last night, so I decided to take some pain medicine as soon as I got home.

By that time Darian was already taking a shower and soon he was ready to go to school too. I went back to bed after he left, Natalie was still asleep on our bed and I stayed there with her for a little while longer. Soon Brian was up too. He had to hurry and head downtown for work. Natalie and I went downstairs.

We started cleaning up a little bit. We did the dishes, cleaned up the kitchen, and picked up the family room. Of course I needed a break after all that. These days I can only do so much at a time.

We sat on the couch and took out N's colored pencils. We were coloring and having a good time, when I started feeling more and more sick. I felt dizzy, tired achy, and nauseated. I lied down on the couch. I was still wearing my night cap (it keeps my funny, fuzzy head warm at night.) It also comes in handy as a night mask from time to time, so I pulled it down to cover my eyes. The light really bothered me.

My stomach was upset and my back was killing me. I took another painkiller, but I could not eat anything with it, although I knew I'm not supposed to take those on an empty stomach. I just couldn't.

I must have fallen asleep there, because at some point I heard Natalie's voice saying "Mom, I have some soup for you. Don't worry; I'll take good care of you!" I opened my eyes and saw that she had brought her little dish set and she was ready to feed me! She had put some water in one of her little pink bowls, some bread on a tiny plate, she had a little cup with even more water, and a yogurt! What a sweetheart!

I lied there while she started feeding me, spilling most of the water on me and giving me hugs and kisses after each bite. I told her my stomach was upset and I couldn't eat the yogurt. She was pretty bummed, but I praised her so many times for taking such good care of me and being thoughtful that she soon forgot about the yogurt.

I must have continued slipping in and out of sleep because the next thing I remember was the front door opening and David was home from school.

I told him I felt really sick and now that he was here I was going to go to my bed and try to get some real rest. Of course a few minutes later, both of them were on my bed talking to me.

That's when I started feeling even worse. I told David I was going to be sick, and to take Natalie out. I rushed to the bathroom and vomited. I was dizzy and my sinuses hurt so bad!
I didn't know what to do. I opened one of those Thermacare heating pads that I use for my back and held it over my nose. Soon it started draining and I felt a little better.

I went back downstairs and took another little nap while David was playing video games and Natalie was watching him. Soon it was almost 5:00 pm. I had to go pick Darian from school. I gathered all the energy I could muster and drove to school. The same story as before. There was a long line of cars, and I waited patiently for my turn to get to the entrance of the building where Darian was waiting for me. I drove back home in a daze.

I went straight to my bed again. Next thing I know, Brian was home and he brought me a bowl of stew that one of the ladies from church had prepared for us. I could not taste much, but it felt good to finally have something in my stomach. He also gave me one of my anti-nausea pills. Duh, why didn't I think of that before? Anyway, I went back to sleep and I finally woke up again around 8:00 pm.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go back to sleep tonight, but I feel so tired right now, I'm sure I'll sleep like a baby. I sure hope that I'll be better tomorrow. I hate being sick, especially now that my body resistance is so low and I have no means to fight back the germs. I bet that's why I feel so bad. David had the same thing a few days ago but he wasn't that sick.

Stupid cancer... I'll just try to get some more rest now and hopefully I'll be a lot better tomorrow. Thank goodness it's Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. I can really understand how you feel. I just spent a good 10 days in hospital due to my white count crashing. This time around I have felt sicker than I had previously. I am very tired, feel weak and every bone in my legs ankles and feet hurt. All I want to do is lay down and sleep for a few days straight.
    Take care of yourself, rest as much as you can.
    I plan to do exactly that all day Sunday!!

    Love Alli.xx

    ReplyDelete