Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cocktails, beads and wires

The first round of chemo went fine. The gave me a "cocktail" of 2 drugs and I was pumped up with so much anti- nausea medicine and steroids that I felt fine all day yesterday and most of the day today. I had a little bit of a fever, chills and hot flashes, but nothing serious.

Starting earlier this afternoon I started feeling a little more sick to my stomach and more fatigued, but I still feel OK. The doctor told me it's probably going to get worse within the next 2 days, but I think I'll be fine. It hasn't been that bad so far, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They also told me I should expect my hair to start going "bye-bye" within the next 10-25 days. I've already started looking for hats, scarves and wigs. The kids help me choose, so it's kinda fun actually! We're still keeping a positive attitude around here! :-)

I started working on some jewelery again. It's been a while and I had forgotten how much I like it. I'm glad I had the energy to do it. I'm making something new for Mikie and I'm thinking maybe something for all the girls in the family. I still haven't come up with the right idea, but it's somewhere in there. I'll figure it out.

Well, I better go now. Yesterday I couldn't sleep. I finally was able to around 5:00 am, so I promised Brian I would try to go to bed early tonight. It's already after midnight of course, so...I don't know if I'll be able to. I think I should start taking that sedative the doctors gave me. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment