Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Saturday, April 18, 2009

I've had a couple of rough days yesterday and the day before. I went to see the doctor on Friday, and my blood count was a mess. My red cells are low, my white cells are super low, my INR went from 5.8 to 1.8, which explains why I've been feeling tired, dizzy and weak last week. Well, not that having cancer alone wouldn't have caused this! ;-)
Anyway, I'll have to go back and recheck everything next Friday, and then go back the Friday after that, to get another cocktail of poison to weed out the stupid cancer cells. Grrrrr!

The doctor said I have to be extra careful about infections, colds etc. so I have to avoid places with crowds, avoid being around pets and, the hardest one for me, not hug and kiss the kids, in case they pass on their germs to me. I'll probably have to wear a mask on the plane, if I end up going to Hawaii. We still want to make it happen, but we have to keep an open mind and accept the fact that it might not be possible. I'm hoping that I won't be too sick after my second treatment in 2 weeks. The first one wasn't that bad.

I bought some hats to have in case the inevitable happens. I tried them on and the kids and I were making jokes about looking funny. I wanted them to see me wearing them, so they can get used to the idea. I sometimes wonder if it's possible to skip that part, and keep my hair. Not very likely, I know. My cousin that had breast cancer didn't loose hers during chemo. I wish it would run in families, you know? My mom says it's because she was so optimistic about it, LOL!! I wish!
I hate it when the nurses talk to me and touch my hair and say " Such a same, you have such nice, thick, wavy hair!" It makes want to scream " I KNOWWW!!"

Anyway, enough cancer talk. William came and took the kids to the zoo today. It's very nice of him. Brian and I drove them there and Brian we'll have to go pick them up pretty soon so Darian can make it to his baseball practice. I promised him that I would take a nap, but I don't see that happening now. I like this time alone, I don't want to waste it on sleep.

I started making some "awareness" bracelets. Finally I can use all my pink beads! I bought some ribbon charms too, but they haven't arrived in the mail yet. I've made 2 so far and they look pretty cool. I'll take a picture as soon as can find my camera. I gave it to the boys to make their movies, I have no clue where they put it.

Well, that's all for now. I'm gonna try and get some rest, watching TV or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment