Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Friday, May 15, 2009

Ever since I started writing this blog I’ve had lots of nice people visit it and send me very kind and thoughtful messages, reminding me that I’m not alone and that there are many other women out there that go through the same battle.

Although I’m so grateful for all the plethora of information out there on the Internet and all the gracious men and women who are willing to share their experience and advice, this is where our similarities end and our differences begin.

Somehow I feel that there’s nothing to gain from knowing that someone else has cancer too, or learning that someone I don’t know feels the exact same crappy feelings I have right now. I know that I would probably say the same things and offer the same stick to someone drowning from the flood that this horrendous disease brings unto its helpless victims, but it’s not the kind of help that I need right now.

I need to have the illusion that things are normal, that everything is fine. Many times I think that I would be so much better off if I had no idea. I already know more than an average person does, and it drives me nuts. Whenever I look on the Internet for more info I get more and more depressed. There’s nothing good out there and then I’m left with the feeling that I’m already in too deep, that I’m kidding my self and that I’ll never beat this.

I know that even if I beat it this time around, it will come back somewhere else, and then what? I don’t think I have the inner strength to go for another round. And that’s when I have to remember to focus on this round first and take it one thing at a time. It’s not easy!

I gain strength from my noisy kids and the fact that for them nothing has changed. They don’t tiptoe around their sick mother, they still go on as if nothing has happened and although it gets a bit tiring sometimes, deep down I love it this way. It’s what keeps me going. Knowing that I need to be here for them is what drives me.

David needs help with geography, and Darian with his spelling words, Natalie is hungry and Brian is looking for his sunglasses and here I am in the middle of everything, hanging from a string, but I’m still here, juggling between everybody’s needs and wants. This is what makes me feel alive, and I love it!

And when I get tired and weak, there’s always Brian’s kind but strong hand to hold on to.
Always there! He helps me to my bed and sets me down to rest. That’s when I realize that I can let go, and yes, I can be sick and fragile too! Things will still go on.

I close my eyes and sleep and my dreams are peaceful. I love and I’m loved. I want nothing else. I’m ready. Ready to fight and ready to loose. Either one is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment