Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's amazing how much energy I have the last few days before my next round of chemo! Today I was able to do all kinds of things, and I did have a ton of stuff on my schedule! Surprisingly I was still chugging along until late afternoon. I got really tired late in the evening, but I was able to get some rest after Brian got home from work, so I still feel fine now.


It's kinda sad to think that my body is actually healing from all that poison only to get some more on Friday. Well, as long as it does what it's supposed to do, I shouldn't whine.


I'm starting to dread the days I get chemo, I know that I'll be really sick for at least 10-12 days after I do it. Who knows what kind of symptoms I'll have this time! They seem to be different every time. I don't think that a body can really get used to receiving toxic waste intravenously as... a "treatment", so I'm not surprised. The key, I've found, is to keep busy and not think about it.

I'll be half way done after this next one, so as the days go by I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. At least for step one. Now I'm beginning to focus more on the surgery.

I feel that I can trust my breast surgeon. She's very nice and knowledgeable, and she's very experienced from what we were able to find out. We've heard very good things about her, from many different sources. My gynecologist and the nurse practitioner were the first ones to recommend her and my oncologist mentioned to us that his wife had her as her surgeon also. One would think that he would have the means to provide the best for his wife, so if out of all the doctors in Cincinnati he chose her, I think it's safe to assume that I am in good hands.


I've also started thinking about the radiation treatments. The doctor mentioned that I might need to do that too. I'm afraid to start looking more into it, because I don't want to feel discouraged before I'm even done with chemo.

How much I would love to have the chemo and the surgery out of the way and not worry about this anymore, ever again! Of course I'll do whatever the doctor thinks is best. I know that the reconstruction would have to be delayed if I need to have radiation, so that's a big bummer.


Wouldn't it be nice if a miracle could happen? Lets say that I'd go to the doctor's office one sunny day and he would say: "Wow, the tumor is gone!" How neat is that? Well, a girl can always dream, right? ;-)


I'm kinda getting tired of writing when there's really nothing to say, so I'll shut up and go about my business, which at this point should be to get to my bed. It's late and I have another busy day tomorrow.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment