Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Saturday, May 23, 2009

I'm doing surprisingly well today! I woke up early to go to the clinic for my shot. I had to wait for a while, but I kept Natalie occupied with some Highlights magazines they had there for kids, so it was not that hard.

When my turn finally came, the nurse took my vitals again, and then took me to the back room with all the chairs and the people hooked up on their IV's or waiting for their shot.

A lady came in not too long after and sat right next to me, so we started talking. She too had breast cancer, but she was "fortunate" enough to have the more "treatable" kind with the right hormone receptors, the one I don't have since I'm a triple negative. She too had decided to go ahead and have a double mastectomy, so she doesn't have to worry about it coming back anymore, so it was nice to hear from someone else that I'm not completely out of mind for wanting to do the same. People sometimes think that wanting to do this is too radical, and I should try to preserve the parts that are not affected. I, on the other hand, think that I don't ever want to have to go through this again and the more they take away, the less chances I'll have for it to return, at least in the same place.

The lady mentioned something about a support group she's going twice a week and invited me to go too. I think I will. It really makes a big difference to talk to people that go through the same crap after all. I take everything back.

Having cancer isolates you. It's a lonely road. No one can understand. People can feel sorry for you, offer prayers and comfort but only the ones that have faced it can really understand what it means to live counting the days, to the next treatment, to the surgery, to recovery, to the end of your life as you know it. It's really bad business.
When it was time to leave I gave her a hug and wished her good luck, thinking we could all use some.

I came back home and spent some time with the kids. Later I was in the mood for some exercise. I got on the treadmill for a few minutes to warm up and then did some yoga! Very refreshing! Brian kept telling me how proud he is of me for doing it. It's true that I haven't done it in a while.

I took a shower afterwards, made dinner and then went to my bed and took a long nap.
When I woke up the kids told me that our neighbors next doors were leaving for the night and the said that we could use their hot tub, if we wanted to. The kids were very excited about it, so I decide to let them go there for a while. I had to be there to make sure that Natalie did OK and she was just fine. She even put her head under the water! Our pool is open now for the season, so I promised them that if I'm feeling OK I'll take them there tomorrow.

After the kids went to bed Brian and I gave Ozzie, our dog, a haircut. He looks so cute with short hair, and he was so excited afterwards. We gave him a treat and that made him even happier!

Now I'm just ready to go out on our deck and enjoy some quiet moments with Brian. I love it when we get to have some time together out there after the kids go to bed, but we rarely do it because the mosquitoes feast on poor Brian. Let's see if he's going to be brave enough tonight.
I think after that I'm just going to read and then try to go to sleep. I know it's already midnight, but I only woke up 3-4 hours ago, so my schedule is a little off.

So that's all for today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good day tomorrow.

Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment