Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Tuesday, May 5, 2009

So here I am, still in Ohio and not in Hawaii. The decision has been made.
I don’t feel well enough to make it through the trip. This Neulasta shot has had some really nasty side effects that don’t agree with me.

I’m somewhat relieved that I don’t have to stress over trying to make everything work for the trip, but at the same time I can’t help thinking that if I could have made it I would probably be typing this tomorrow from my ocean view room, listening to the waves crashing on the shore. Bummer! I really needed to hear that sound again, more than anything.

I can’t even imagine when the next time for us to go on vacation would be. I miss Greece so much, but it is so expensive to go there now. I guess I should be thankful we were able to take David and Darian twice already. Natalie will have to wait a while longer.

I talked to my brother yesterday. It’s always good to talk to him. I miss him a lot. I’m so excited that he wants to come and see me. I’m also excited for my sister! This would be her first time here, so I’m just so thrilled that she can finally come and see us here. I just wish I’m well enough to have some fun time with both of them. I’m still not sure if my mom will come, but if she does I think she’ll come with my sister, so that would work out great. I’m worried about her traveling alone.

I’m glad to be done with the second round of chemo. I’m still feeling like crap, but I’m hoping it will get better, especially the nausea and the pain in my bones. I try to take my meds for the pain every 4 hours. I’ve done a good job today, so the pain is more tolerable. I had to start rinsing my mouth with that water/soda solution again. I can see how much it helps to keep my mouth clear of the dead cells that like to linger in there. Disgusting, I know, but very helpful.

The good news is that the tumor feels even smaller now! I don’t know how this is happening, but to give you an idea, if today was the first time that I had done a breast examination, I would have probably missed it. It’s really that small now! Weird! I guess it really does not like that Carboplatin and Taxotere mix we’ve been feeding it.

Brian’s mom is coming tonight, and I’m so grateful for the help. We could really use some. I’m getting as much rest as I can, but it’s still not enough. Taking care of Natalie is not that hard, because she’s such an easy going little girl, and she’s so much fun to be around, but even that is too much for me right now. I feel so bad that I can’t spend the same amount or quality of time with her that I did before. We did play catch with her brand new ball today, and she just loved it! She’s so easy to please!

Well, that’s all for now. Brian and Sally will be here soon, so I better get going.
Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment