Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Friday, May 1, 2009

Round Two

Well, I guess I survived the second round! My experience this time was a lot more pleasant.
I didn’t have to wait for too long for my blood test or for the doctor to see me, and I had good reviews all around.

My INR is 2.6, so it’s within normal range again. My blood count is a lot better, almost within normal range, but just in case, I’m getting a Neulasta shot tomorrow morning to keep my WBC up. Possible side effects: Aching in the bones and muscles as it stimulates the bone marrow to produce more white blood cells. Like I didn’t have enough pain there already! Oh, well. I have enough Vicodin for an army! Anyone else in pain?

The other good news of course is that the doctor gave us the green light for going to Hawaii. He also gave me an extra prescription for antibiotics, just in case. I need to stay out of the sun and wear a lot of sunscreen. I’ll probably have to carry an extra suitcase full of my medication, one for every symptom. It kinds makes me feel old.

Our plans while we are there are very low key, so I think I’ll be OK. We have a nice room with a view to the ocean, and I can’t wait to see it. I’ve missed the ocean so much! I’m curious to see the Pacific, they say it’s so much more “unfriendly” than what I’m used to.

It's the travel that worries me. We already made arrangements with the airline and we told them that I'm going to need transportation from one place to another. Hopefully that will help. We also got some masks, since I'll be cooped up in small place with a lot of other people. Let alone the swine flu that's been going around! Last time we checked there were no cases confirmed in Hawaii.

I started a new book, so I’m excited to read again tonight. I have so many books I want to read! I’m hoping I can when I’m in Hawaii. In fact, that’s all I want to do. Well, I would like to go see the volcano and maybe drive around to see the rest of the place too, but mostly what I need is time to myself, time with Brian, and days without any kind of responsibilities or plans and schedules. The kids nowadays call it chillax. So that's what I want to do!

I’ll try to get some sleep tonight. Last time the steroid shot kept me up most of the night. I’m going to take my sedative this time, so I can sleep and wake up for my early appointment tomorrow.

It’s been 3 hours and I’m feeling fine so far. I’m a little tired, so I think I’m going to get some rest now. The kids are watching a movie, so it’s the perfect opportunity. I better not miss it! :-)

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment