Mesothelioma Cancer Awareness

A message from our friends at http://www.asbestos.com/


Mesothelioma is a rare and aggressive cancer. One of the primary mesothelioma causes is asbestos exposure. The cancer develops in the mesothelium, a protective membrane that lines three body cavities: the thoracic cavity (pleura), abdominal cavity (peritoneum) and the heart sac (pericardium).

A mesothelioma patient’s prognosis, or the probable course and outcome of a disease’s influence on the body, is influenced by numerous factors. Since a mesothelioma diagnosis often occurs once the cancer has progressed to later stages of development, prognosis is typically poor. However if a patient is diagnosed before the cancer has spread or elects to undergo treatment to combat the cancer, their prognosis may improve.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring toxic mineral that was commonly used throughout the 20th century in thousands of products and many industries. Asbestos is naturally resistant to heat and fire, making it ideal for use in insulation. The mineral was often used in insulation and the fine, flexible fibers were frequently mixed with cement and woven into fabrics. Exposure to asbestos can result in the development of serious illnesses such as malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.







Monday, May 18, 2009

Look Good...Feel Better

I've been feeling a lot better this week. I've been keeping busy with the kids and things around the house, so I don't really pay attention to my symptoms anymore. I've had a little nausea, but nothing serious.

I have another treatment coming up on Friday, so I'm guessing next week will be another hard one for me. I suppose the oncologist will tell me I need another shot of Neulasta the day after, so I'm expecting a lot of pain in my bones. The good news is that since I survived it the first time, I'm thinking I'll make it through the second time as well. :-)

Today I had my "Look good...Feel better" seminar. It was nice to be with other women that go through the same things, so I think I'll reevaluate what I said a few days ago. It was actually good to be among women that feel the same, look the same, or sometimes, sadly, are even worse than I am. I guess I'm always so private and reserved that I forget how it is to be around other people. I know, if I could I would be a hermit in a cave!

Our instructor was this really tall skinny African American lady that was hilarious, so we all felt relaxed and more confident. At some point she wanted to demonstrate how to apply make-up, I was one of the lucky ones, so we had to take our wigs off.

I heard a lot of people say that it was liberating for them to do it. I usually wear scarves around the house, and I take them off when I'm in my bedroom, with the door locked of course, so I don't scare the poor kids! One of the ladies told me "I'll take it off, if you do." I said "Sure!" and yanked it off. I didn't really care. I didn't feel "liberated" or anything spectacular like that, it was actually kinda fun. I put a scarf back on after a few minutes because my head started getting cold.

I got a bunch of free samples, but unfortunately some of them were foundations and powders that were too dark for my skin, so if any of you have friends that have darker skin than mine, let me know. I got free stuff!

I heard from my mom and sister a few days ago and they're still planning to come see me in August, my brother a week after them, so I'm really excited to see them all. I can tell my mom is having a rough time, but she tries not to say anything to me and be supportive. My sister told me though that she's really worried.

I feel a little nervous for them to see me like this. I know they love me and they won't care, they just want to be here for me when I have the surgery, but I still feel weird about it.

So, that's all for now. My skin feels really sticky now, because I don't usually use foundation, my preference is the Bare Minerals products, so I' thinking I'm gonna have to go and wash it off, before my skin breaks out.

Later! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment